Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Dear White People:

My life changed, much like yours, on 9/11/2001. All of a sudden, "Middle Eastern" became a bad word. Previously misunderstood Muslims were now the enemy, and Arabs were generally vilified. Most Americans couldn't find the Gaza Strip on a map, let alone comprehend the complexities of the politics and [insert another fancy word for bullshit] that are happening over there. My own politics aside, there is something interesting about my life today that goes back to the event that took place on that fateful morning when I sat in first period biology. I have something to say to every white American reader:

White people, stop being scared of middle eastern food.

Seriously, this is getting a bit ridiculous. Enjoying beef shawarma will not bring a jihad on your head. I laugh every time a middle eastern restaurant calls it's food "Mediterranean" because "middle eastern" can scare off potential guests to your restaurant.

I manage a restaurant that serves middle eastern food. I've eaten food from almost every corner of the planet. Anyone who knows me knows that I used to be in very good shape, but have long since decided that a life spent on a diet is not for me. Give me Reeash, (or lamb chops). Pile on the hummus with fresh baked bread. Bathe me in garlic paste or cucumber sauce.

Many of you have had a shish kabob, right?

WRONG.

You have no idea what a shish kabob is until you go to a real middle eastern restaurant and try one.

Basmati rice, just for Indian food, right?

WRONG AGAIN, DUMMY.

Basmati is prepared fresh daily to accompany our Bazella, which is like a lamb stew, and want to have in a horse feeding bag around my face at all times.

Anyone out there like their steak rare? Come and try Kibbiniya, which is a lamb and beef tar-tar that is not only delicious when eaten with fresh baked bread, mint, and radish, but makes me feel like an T-rex because I'm eating raw meat.

At my restaurant, DarNa, we balance this food that comes from a culture that does not universally accept alcohol with a bar program that I am confident is one of the best in the DMV. Ever have a cocktail with Arak in it? I make one. Come at me.

White people, it's time. I know that you're scared, but you can't be anymore. Too much has happened to continue to be afraid of our Middle Eastern friends. Many of these restaurants have been around since before you were born. They are American families. They just want to feed you.

By all means, be angry at the perpetuators of terror. Hate the extremists who defile the name of middle easterners everywhere. Blame Osama Bin Laden. Blame the Taliban.

Just don't blame the lamb.


No comments:

Post a Comment