Thursday, April 10, 2014

A Thank You note

I just wanted to thank the followers of this Blog, my friends, family, and supporters. My cocktail menu at Mate Lounge just received "best cocktail selection" in Washington City Paper 2014 "Best of" awards, and I was first runner up as DC's Best Mixologist (even though I hate that word…)

It is a strange thing, winning awards in this industry. It's hard to feel too accomplished because you see so many young bartenders and restaurant workers that are struggling to make a name for themselves. There are so many young, talented people out there who receive no recognition, or even the thanks of the people that they make so much money for. This industry, this job, this lifestyle can be so difficult and yet so rewarding.

I remember my first cocktail menu; I recently found an old, worn out copy of it, and see how far I have come. There are so many exciting things on the horizon for me; I cannot begin to tell you.

I just wanted to personally thank my parents for believing that I could do something worth while choosing this job, and my wife for holding all of the pieces together; without her I would certainly fall apart. Also thanks to The Bear, Alex Davin, the man who is still my teacher. I'm so glad you helped me develop this obsession.

To anyone reading this who has dreams of making that perfect cocktail, I just want to say that this is what we love; don't let anyone take that away from you. Never be afraid to try something new  and always know your worth. Don't let anyone get you down when you get the inevitable "…but what's your real job?" line of questioning. Be proud.

Keep your bar clean, choose when to shake and when to stir, and keep your vermouth refrigerated.



Thank you to everyone who helped; I couldn't have done it without you.

Stay Thirsty,
Eric



1 comment: