Sunday, March 3, 2013

Open at last, open at last, thank god almighty, we are open at last

Well, I suppose the cat is really out of the bag on this one, but Darna Restaurant, after months of setbacks and challenges, is open.

It is quite remarkable, the feeling once the doors are open. When the vision of the restaurant is just a twinkle in the owners eye, you look forward to the day that the entire staff gathers outside of the doors and then opens them. Once you open those fateful doors, the only vision one has is of a long vacation somewhere with mountains and some other poor bastard making my drinks for me. But there is no rest, only Zhul.

Drinks have always and will always be my speciality, though managing a restaurant means also stepping into the world of food. I do not think I was prepared for bridging the cultural gap on this one the way I had to. Allow me to explain...

It is a rare occasion that anyone sees meatloaf on the menu in a restaurant. Meatloaf is something that my mom makes me. It is literally one of my favorite meals by her. No matter how well it can be made by any Chef in the world, my mothers meatloaf will always be the best. Something you realize in the restaurant industry is that engaging with the food that people loved growing up is a bold choice, and you'd better get it right.

For my non-Arab readers, words like Mansaf and Molokhia mean nothing to you. To some, these words are staples of their childhood.

One of my guests, Said Durrah, told me that no matter what, no Mansaf will be as good as the one a man's mother makes. (To prove his point, his mother came in and tried ours. We got a thumbs up!)

So yes, good readers, we are open. Lunch, dinner, and beyond. Come into Darna; there is something for everyone.

Stay Thirsty,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment